Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc met with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer this week to prevent new tariffs on Canadian exports.

The talks are critical because President Donald Trump has threatened to impose a new wave of tariffs on goods moving from Canada into the U.S. if negotiations do not reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Officials have held three meetings in as many weeks [1] to address the escalating trade tension. The high-level discussions focused on taking stock of the progress made by the respective negotiating teams [2]. While some reports indicated the meetings occurred in Ottawa, others suggested the officials met in Washington [3, 4].

The urgency of the meetings is driven by a looming deadline of Aug. 19, 2026 [1]. If an agreement is not reached by that date, Canadian exporters face the immediate risk of increased costs, and reduced competitiveness in the U.S. market.

Following the discussions, LeBlanc indicated that the diplomatic effort remains ongoing. "The job is not yet done," LeBlanc said [5].

A spokesperson for LeBlanc said the purpose of the meeting was to review the work completed by the teams so far [2]. The talks represent the latest attempt by the Canadian government to secure a trade exemption, or a revised agreement, to protect its economic interests against the U.S. administration's tariff threats.

"The job is not yet done."

This meeting underscores the volatility of the current Canada-US trade relationship and the significant leverage the U.S. administration holds via tariff threats. With a concrete deadline of Aug. 19, the Canadian government is operating under extreme time pressure to secure concessions, suggesting that the economic stakes for Canadian exporters are immediate and substantial.