Prime Minister Mark Carney expects to speak with U.S. President Donald Trump before a looming tariff deadline, he said in St. John's, Newfoundland.
The timing is critical as Canada faces an executive order that imposes 50 percent tariffs [3]. A failure to reach an agreement could disrupt bilateral trade and impact the Canadian economy during a period of high volatility.
Carney made the comments while visiting Newfoundland to announce a new agreement regarding the Churchill Falls generating station. The Prime Minister also launched several new projects focused on hydro, wind, and transmission infrastructure to bolster energy security.
Discrepancies exist regarding the exact timing of the tariff window. While some reports cited an Aug. 1 deadline [1], other sources indicate the deadline is Aug. 19, 2026 [2]. This would leave less than 24 hours for the two leaders to resolve the dispute [2].
President Trump has previously mentioned a commitment to reach a trade deal within 30 days [4]. However, reports differ on the current status of communication between the leaders. Some sources said that Carney and Trump have already spoken by phone, while others indicate the Prime Minister is still expecting the call.
The energy announcements in St. John's serve as a domestic counterbalance to the international trade tension. By securing the Churchill Falls deal and expanding renewable energy, the administration aims to stabilize internal infrastructure while navigating the external pressure from the U.S. executive order.
“Carney expects to speak with U.S. President Donald Trump before a looming tariff deadline.”
The overlap of domestic energy policy and international trade friction suggests Canada is attempting to strengthen its internal economic resilience while negotiating with a U.S. administration using aggressive tariff threats as leverage. The uncertainty regarding the deadline date underscores the volatility of the current diplomatic environment.

