Saurav Das, chief spokesperson of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), questioned why the Union and Delhi governments have not submitted a consolidated list of FIRs to the Supreme Court.
The delay affects the legal standing of student protestors who face criminal charges. The CJP argues that the failure to provide this list prevents the court from quashing cases as previously directed.
Das said the government has failed to honor assurances made on July 25, 2024 [2], regarding the withdrawal of protest-related FIRs. He said that the government is employing delay tactics to avoid complying with the Supreme Court's direction under Article 142 [4].
While some reports suggest there are no FIRs against the protestors [5], other sources indicate that cases against students remain active and require withdrawal [3]. The CJP maintains that these legal actions are unjustified and contrary to the government's own promises.
During the discourse, it was noted that around 2,800 people have been identified as alleged hardened criminals [1]. The CJP argues that this classification does not justify the continued prosecution of peaceful student demonstrators.
Das said the Union and Delhi governments must immediately submit the required documentation to the court to ensure the quashing of these cases. He said that the continued delay represents a defiance of judicial oversight.
The CJP continues to demand the full withdrawal of all FIRs linked to the protests, citing the need for government accountability, and adherence to the rule of law.
“The government is employing delay tactics to avoid complying with the Supreme Court's direction.”
The dispute highlights a tension between executive action and judicial direction in India. If the government is found to have ignored a Supreme Court mandate under Article 142 — which allows the court to pass any order necessary for doing complete justice — it could lead to further legal sanctions or a deepening of political friction between the CJP and the ruling administration.



