Kenyan public transport operators called off a nationwide strike on May 22, 2024, after the government announced a reduction in diesel prices [1, 2, 3].
The move prevents a total collapse of commuter transit across the country, where matatu and bus owners had threatened to paralyze movement over rising fuel costs [1, 3].
President William Ruto said the government reduced the price of diesel by more than four percent [1]. This adjustment aims to lower the financial burden on both transport operators and the general public [1, 3].
"We have reduced diesel price by more than 4% to ease the burden on Kenyans," Ruto said [1].
The Deputy Finance Minister said the decision reflects a commitment to lower the cost of living for all citizens [3]. The price cut follows intense negotiations between government officials and transport unions in Nairobi [1, 2].
While some reports indicate the strike was called off immediately, other accounts state the operators have suspended the action to facilitate further dialogue [1, 2]. A spokesperson for the Kenya Transport Union said the strike would be suspended to allow for more talks with the government [2]. This suspension is expected to remain in place until Tuesday, May 28, 2024 [2].
Transport operators had previously warned that the high cost of fuel was making it impossible to maintain affordable fares for commuters [1, 3]. The threat of a nationwide shutdown had created significant economic uncertainty for workers and businesses relying on the matatu network, the backbone of Kenyan urban transit [1, 2].
“"We have reduced diesel price by more than 4% to ease the burden on Kenyans,"”
The government's decision to subsidize or lower diesel costs serves as a temporary pressure valve for social unrest. By addressing the immediate financial grievances of the transport sector, the administration avoids a total economic standstill, though the suspension of the strike rather than a permanent cancellation suggests that long-term fuel price stability remains a point of contention.





