French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu was booed by residents on Monday during a visit to Le Porge in the Gironde department [1].
The incident highlights deep public frustration over the government's handling of the devastating wildfires that struck southwestern France in July 2026. Residents are demanding concrete reconstruction measures as they deal with the aftermath of the disaster [1], [2].
Lecornu arrived in the region on Aug. 17 to formally launch a reconstruction mission [1], [3]. However, the reception was hostile, with some residents shouting, "Shameful! Shameful!" [4]. The anger stems from perceived failures in managing the "megafire" that ravaged the area last month [2].
Reports on the scale of the destruction vary. Some records indicate the megafire burned nearly 42,000 hectares [2]. Other reports focus on specific areas, noting that a fire in the Landes region burned 1,700 hectares [5].
Conflict also exists regarding the current status of active blazes. Some reports said that the fire in Luglon, Landes, was not yet contained at the time of the visit [4]. Conversely, emergency services said that the fire had been fixed after the loss of the 1,700 hectares [5].
Lecornu's visit was intended to signal the start of the recovery phase, but the protests underscore a gap between government planning and the immediate needs of the victims [1], [2]. The Prime Minister's office has not issued a formal response to the protests in Le Porge.
“"Shameful! Shameful!"”
The hostility toward Prime Minister Lecornu reflects a broader crisis of confidence in disaster management within France's southwestern regions. While the government is now shifting toward reconstruction, the discrepancy in reported damage and the persistence of active fires in the Landes region suggest a fragmented recovery effort that has yet to satisfy the affected populations.


