The Fukuoka District Public Prosecutors Office announced Friday that it will not prosecute Goji Nishi for the alleged illegal import of a supplement [1].

The decision clears the 67-year-old former chairman of Suntory Holdings of charges related to the Narcotics Control Law [1, 2]. This case drew significant attention due to Nishi's high profile in the Japanese corporate world and the strict nature of Japan's drug laws.

Investigators looked into the import of a supplement from the U.S. that contained THC, a prohibited cannabis derivative [3]. The legal process began earlier this month, following a document-sending procedure known as shorui-sōken on April 16, 2026 [4].

Prosecutors said they reached the decision after a careful review of the evidence [5]. The office said, "As a result of careful consideration, we have decided to dispose of the case without prosecution" [5].

Nishi denied receiving the prohibited items during the investigation. "I have not received it," Nishi said [1]. Further supporting the non-prosecution decision, a urine test administered to Nishi returned a negative result [1].

Under Japanese law, the import of cannabis-derived products can lead to severe penalties, regardless of the intent or the concentration of the substance. The Fukuoka District Public Prosecutors Office said there was insufficient evidence to proceed with formal charges [5].

"As a result of careful consideration, we have decided to dispose of the case without prosecution"

The decision to drop charges reflects the high evidentiary bar required for prosecution under Japan's Narcotics Control Law, particularly when a defendant can prove they did not knowingly possess or consume the substance. For a high-ranking executive like Nishi, the negative urine test and the lack of proof regarding the receipt of the supplement were critical in avoiding a criminal record in a country where drug offenses carry heavy social and professional stigmas.