President Donald Trump (R-FL) postponed a planned 50% [1] tariff on a wide range of Canadian goods after announcing a new deal.
The move provides temporary relief to trade relations between the two North American neighbors. Because the tariffs would have impacted $20 billion [2] in Canadian imports, the pause prevents immediate price spikes for consumers and businesses in the U.S.
Trump made the announcement late Tuesday night and later held a press briefing Wednesday morning on the White House lawn in Washington, D.C. He said the pause is part of a newly reached agreement that would benefit both the United States and Canada.
"We've come to a deal with Canada," Trump said.
Despite the announcement, the president did not provide specific details regarding the terms of the agreement. The current pause on the 50% [1] tariffs is set to last for three days [3].
Reports on the nature of the negotiations vary. Some sources indicate the discussions involved Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, while other reports mention conversations with Prime Minister Mark Carney.
There are also conflicting reports regarding the status of the tariffs. While the president announced a pause, some reports suggest the tariffs had already come into effect and prompted retaliation from Canada, and China.
Trump said the decision followed conversations with Canadian leaders to resolve the trade dispute. He said the resulting deal would be mutually beneficial for both nations.
“"We've come to a deal with Canada."”
The brief three-day window suggests a high-pressure negotiation tactic rather than a permanent resolution. By pausing the tariffs without disclosing the deal's terms, the U.S. administration maintains leverage over Canadian leadership while avoiding immediate economic volatility in the $20 billion import sector.

