President Donald Trump (R-US) paused 50% [1] tariffs on a range of Canadian imports for three days [2].

The suspension prevents an immediate spike in costs for billions of dollars [1] in goods, offering a narrow window to avoid a deeper North American trade war.

Trump said the decision Tuesday night from the White House. The pause became effective Wednesday morning, Aug. 20, delaying tariffs that were previously scheduled to begin that day [1], [2].

"I have paused the 50% tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three‑day period," Trump said [1].

The move follows recent discussions between U.S. and Canadian officials intended to reduce trade tensions. The administration said the delay is intended to give negotiators more time to work toward a resolution [2].

Canadian official Mark Carney said the two nations are continuing their work to reach a broader agreement [3]. He said that while the pause is a step, key work remains to be completed before the deadline expires.

The tariffs target a wide variety of Canadian imports. If no agreement is reached within the three-day window, the 50% [1] levies could be applied to the affected goods, potentially disrupting supply chains across the border.

"I have paused the 50% tariffs against Canada... for a three‑day period."

The short-term pause indicates that while the U.S. is using aggressive tariff threats as leverage, there is a mutual desire to avoid the immediate economic shock of a full-scale trade war. The three-day window creates high-pressure conditions for Canadian negotiators to make concessions or find a middle ground before the tariffs impact billions of dollars in cross-border trade.