Former U.S. President Donald Trump said there are no ongoing or scheduled diplomatic talks with Iran [1].

The statement creates a public contradiction regarding the U.S. diplomatic strategy during a period of heightened regional instability. Conflicting reports on whether the U.S. is engaging in secret negotiations suggest a divide between political rhetoric and official state actions.

Speaking during a televised address posted to Al Jazeera Arabic's YouTube channel on March 24, 2026 [1], Trump said that the United States is maintaining pressure on Iran. He said that because of this pressure, the U.S. sees no need for diplomatic talks at this time [1].

Trump said that the naval blockade remains strong and the Strait of Hormuz stays open [1]. He said, "No talks are happening" [1].

However, these statements contrast with other reports from the same period. A U.S. State Department spokesperson said on March 26, 2026, that talks are still ongoing between the United States and Iran, despite differing narratives [2].

This disagreement comes as the U.S. and Israel navigate a conflict with Iran that had reached day 27 by March 26 [3]. The discrepancy in messaging highlights a tension between the public stance of maintaining maximum pressure and the reported reality of diplomatic channels remaining open to prevent further escalation.

Trump had previously shifted his public tone from threatening Iranian power plants to mentioning peace talks [2]. His latest comments on March 24 [1] return to a position of total diplomatic avoidance.

"There are no ongoing or scheduled talks with Iran."

The contradiction between Trump's public denial and the State Department's acknowledgment of ongoing talks suggests a 'dual-track' strategy. By publicly denying diplomacy, the U.S. maintains a posture of strength and pressure, while privately utilizing diplomatic channels to manage the risks of a conflict that has already persisted for nearly a month.