President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States and Canada have reached a deal to temporarily pause threatened tariffs on Canadian imports [1].
The agreement averts an immediate trade dispute that could have destabilized North American supply chains and increased costs for consumers in both nations [1], [3].
The deal suspends the imposition of a 50% tariff rate that the U.S. had threatened to apply to goods coming from Canada [1]. While some reports describe the move as a temporary pause, others characterize it as a delay in the implementation of the duties [1], [2].
Bilateral talks involving U.S. officials and Canadian representatives, including Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, took place in Washington, D.C., and Ottawa [1]. The discussions aimed to resolve the friction following the U.S. threat to levy the high tariffs on Canadian exports [1], [3].
Beyond the immediate trade relief, Trump said the possibility of reviving the Keystone XL pipeline [1]. The pipeline project had previously been a point of significant political and environmental contention between the two governments.
The announcement on Aug. 18, 2026, provides a window for further negotiations between the two trading partners [1], [2]. The specific terms regarding the duration of the pause, or the conditions for a permanent resolution, were not detailed in the initial announcement [1].
“The US and Canada have reached a deal to temporarily pause threatened tariffs on Canadian imports.”
This temporary reprieve suggests a preference for negotiated settlements over immediate trade warfare, though the 'pause' indicates that the underlying disputes remain unresolved. By linking tariff relief to the potential revival of the Keystone XL pipeline, the U.S. administration is signaling a strategy of leveraging trade access to secure energy infrastructure goals.



