The World Health Organization confirmed an additional hantavirus case in the Netherlands involving a crew member from the MV Hondius cruise ship [1].
This development tracks a localized outbreak that has raised concerns regarding transmission on cruise vessels and the coordination of international health responses. While the virus can be severe, health officials are working to contain the spread.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on May 8, 2026, that the individual disembarked in Tenerife, Canary Islands, before being repatriated to the Netherlands [2]. "Today, the Netherlands confirmed an additional case among a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then," Ghebreyesus said [3].
Reporting on the total number of infections varies across sources. Some reports indicate six laboratory-confirmed cases and two probable cases worldwide [4]. However, other data suggests a higher toll, with 12 suspected and confirmed cases in the Netherlands, including three deaths [5].
Specific figures regarding the MV Hondius also show discrepancies. One report identified five confirmed cases on the cruise ship [6], while another stated nearly a dozen people were infected, with three deaths occurring on the vessel [7].
The WHO said it is monitoring the situation and coordinating the response to the outbreak [8]. Despite the cluster of cases, the organization said the risk to the global population remains low [8].
“The risk to the global population is low.”
The variation in case numbers between the WHO's laboratory confirmations and suspected counts highlights the difficulty of tracking hantavirus in mobile populations, such as cruise ship crews. Because the virus is typically transmitted via rodent droppings and not person-to-person, the focus remains on environmental containment rather than a widespread pandemic threat.





