The Australian federal government announced $100 million [1] in funding to construct an additional overtaking lane on the Great Western Highway.
The investment aims to improve traffic flow and safety on a critical transport artery in New South Wales. This funding follows a sustained push from community advocates who sought infrastructure upgrades for the region.
The project focuses on the expansion of the Great Western Highway to allow vehicles to pass slower traffic more safely. Federal officials said the funding was confirmed Wednesday [1].
While the specific location of the new lane was not detailed in the initial announcement, the project is part of a broader effort to modernize regional road networks. The $100 million [1] allocation represents a direct investment by the Commonwealth to address congestion, and safety concerns in the New South Wales interior.
Community members had previously highlighted the risks associated with limited overtaking opportunities on the highway. The addition of the lane is expected to reduce driver frustration and decrease the likelihood of accidents caused by risky overtaking maneuvers.
Construction timelines and specific engineering plans have not yet been released to the public. The federal government said the funding is now secured for the project [1].
“The Australian federal government announced $100 million in funding to construct an additional overtaking lane.”
This investment signals a response to regional pressure regarding road safety in New South Wales. By funding specific overtaking lanes, the federal government is addressing 'bottleneck' risks where high-speed traffic meets slow-moving vehicles, a common cause of accidents on Australian regional highways.



