Attorney General Todd Blanche said Sunday that the proposed anti-weaponization compensation fund for people claiming political persecution is no longer being pursued [1, 2].
The statement addresses ongoing disputes over whether the administration intends to provide financial restitution to individuals who believe they were targeted by the justice system. The issue has become a focal point for critics who argue such a fund would compromise the impartial nature of federal law enforcement.
Speaking during an interview with host Shannon Bream on Fox News Sunday, Blanche said that the fund is "dead" [1, 2]. He said the fund was never created and that President Trump is aware of its non-existence [1, 2].
Blanche used the appearance to counter assertions from Democratic lawmakers who have suggested that such a mechanism currently exists or is being actively developed [1, 2]. He said that President Trump knows there is no fund, even if Democrats say there are [1].
While Blanche denied the existence of the fund on Sunday, other reports have presented a different view. Mediaite reported that Blanche previously indicated President Trump wants to pay back victims of DOJ weaponization, which implies a payment mechanism could still be under consideration.
Beyond the debate over the fund, Blanche has addressed the broader relationship between the White House and the Department of Justice. In a separate statement to The Washington Post, Blanche said he is not going to pledge that the DOJ will be independent.
“"The anti‑weaponization fund is dead."”
The contradiction between the Attorney General's denial of the fund and reports of the president's desire to compensate victims suggests internal ambiguity regarding the administration's approach to legal restitution. Furthermore, Blanche's refusal to pledge DOJ independence signals a shift away from the traditional norm of separation between the executive branch and federal prosecutions.



