Nigerian businessman Femi Otedola has denied reports that he is investing $100 million [1] in the Dangote Petroleum Refinery.

The dispute highlights the volatility of corporate reporting in Nigeria's high-stakes business environment, where the alliances between the nation's wealthiest individuals are closely scrutinized.

Reports circulated this month suggesting Otedola planned to provide the $100 million [1] investment as part of a larger $2 billion [1] private placement target for the refinery. These reports framed the move as a way to deepen the long-standing business and personal ties between Otedola and Aliko Dangote.

Otedola said Monday that the reports are false and misleading. He said the funding was not requested by the project's owner.

"Dangote never requested funding from Elumelu, Adenuga, myself for refinery," Otedola said.

The denial contradicts earlier reporting from MSN, which suggested Otedola was expected to contribute to the refinery's financing. The refinery project remains one of the most significant industrial undertakings in Africa, often drawing speculation regarding its funding sources and the involvement of other Nigerian billionaires.

Otedola's statement suggests that while he and Dangote maintain a professional relationship, it does not currently extend to a formal financial partnership for this specific project. He specifically named other prominent businessmen, including Tony Elumelu and Mike Adenuga, to emphasize that no such requests for capital had been made to this group of investors.

"The reports are false and misleading."

The contradiction between high-profile media reports and Otedola's direct denial underscores the difficulty of verifying private equity movements in Nigeria's corporate sector. While the Dangote Refinery seeks significant capital, the public denial by Otedola suggests that speculated 'alliances' may be social or strategic rather than financial, potentially affecting how investors perceive the project's private funding trajectory.