Former Cuban President Raúl Castro is accused of ordering the downing of two light aircraft belonging to the humanitarian group Hermanos al Rescate [1].

The allegations highlight ongoing tensions between the U.S. and Cuba regarding the treatment of dissent and the safety of humanitarian missions within Cuban airspace. This development increases international pressure on the former leader's legacy and legal accountability.

Rep. Mario Díaz-Balart (R-FL) called for the prosecution of the former president on Feb. 15, 2026 [1]. The incident reportedly took place over Cuban airspace near Havana [1]. U.S. officials said the aircraft were shot down as part of a broader crackdown on humanitarian missions and dissent [1].

"Es hora de procesar a Raúl Castro por el derribo de las avionetas de Hermanos al Rescate," Díaz-Balart said [1].

Rep. María Elvira Salazar (R-FL) also addressed the incident, saying that the act constitutes a violation of international law and humanitarian principles [1]. The accusations center on the loss of two aircraft [1] used by the rescue group to provide aid.

While these accusations were made public earlier this year, they coincide with a period of intense scrutiny of the Castro family's leadership. Some observers have noted that the former president is facing a final examination of his leadership amid various international criticisms [1].

Cuban authorities have not issued a formal response to these specific claims of ordering the shoot-down of the aircraft.

"Es hora de procesar a Raúl Castro por el derribo de las avionetas de Hermanos al Rescate."

The call for the prosecution of Raúl Castro represents a shift toward seeking legal accountability for former Cuban leaders in international or U.S. forums. By framing the downing of the Hermanos al Rescate aircraft as a violation of international law, U.S. lawmakers are attempting to move the discourse from political disagreement to criminal liability, potentially complicating future diplomatic negotiations between Washington and Havana.