President Donald Trump announced Monday that he is calling off a U.S. military strike on Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday [1].
The decision halts an imminent escalation in the Middle East, shifting the immediate focus from military action to high-stakes diplomacy involving several regional powers.
Trump made the announcement during a PBS NewsHour news-wrap broadcast [2]. He said the move comes after he received requests from the leaders of three Gulf allies: Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates [3]. These nations asked for a delay to provide diplomatic negotiations more time to proceed.
"I am calling off the strike to give talks more time," Trump said [4].
The planned operation was set to take place on Tuesday, May 19, 2026 [1]. By pausing the attack, the administration is acknowledging the influence of its regional partners in managing the tension with Tehran.
Trump indicated that the current diplomatic efforts are substantial. "Serious negotiations are underway," he said [5].
"I received a request from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates," Trump said [3].
The administration has not specified the nature of the planned strike or the specific goals of the ongoing negotiations. However, the intervention by the three Gulf nations suggests a coordinated effort to avoid a direct military confrontation that could destabilize the region.
“"I am calling off the strike to give talks more time."”
This postponement demonstrates the strategic leverage held by Gulf Cooperation Council members in shaping U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. By successfully lobbying for a delay, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE have positioned themselves as essential intermediaries between Washington and Tehran, potentially pivoting the conflict from a kinetic military engagement to a negotiated settlement.





