President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military to halt a planned full-scale attack on Iran that was scheduled for Tuesday [1].
The decision prevents an immediate escalation of hostilities in the Middle East and signals a temporary victory for regional diplomacy. A strike of this magnitude could have destabilized global energy markets and triggered a wider regional war.
Trump said he called off the attack after receiving urgent pleas from Gulf allies, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates [2]. These nations, along with a broader diplomatic push, sought to avoid a direct military confrontation between the U.S. and the Islamic Republic of Iran [2].
The military operation had been slated for May 19, 2024 [1]. This timing followed a period of rising tensions and reported drone attacks involving Saudi Arabia and the UAE [3].
"I called off attack on Iran planned for Tuesday," Trump said [4].
Despite the current halt, the U.S. administration maintains a posture of readiness. Trump said that a full-scale offensive remains an option if diplomatic talks fail [5].
"Holding off on attack on Iran tomorrow," Trump said [6].
The shift in strategy follows intense coordination between Washington and its partners in the Gulf. These allies have historically balanced their security relationship with the U.S. against the need to maintain stable relations with Tehran to avoid domestic instability.
“"I called off attack on Iran planned for Tuesday,"”
This reversal demonstrates the significant influence Gulf allies hold over U.S. military strategy in the region. By prioritizing the concerns of Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the administration is opting for a diplomatic window to resolve tensions, though the threat of a 'full-scale offensive' ensures that military pressure remains a primary tool of leverage against Iran.





