President Donald Trump said Sunday that a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal with Iran is largely negotiated and will be announced soon [1].

The agreement would mark a significant escalation in diplomatic efforts to stabilize a volatile region. If finalized, the deal aims to end months of fighting, lift the U.S. blockade on Iran, and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping lane [1, 2].

"The memorandum of understanding is largely negotiated," Trump said [1].

The announcement follows a period of intense military friction. A ceasefire has been in place since April 8, 2026 [2]. Prior to the truce, Iranian attacks targeted three U.S. destroyers [3].

Trump previously indicated a timeline for these developments, saying on May 8 that he expected a response from Iran regarding a peace deal offer as soon as that night [3]. The current progress suggests a framework for a broader resolution is now nearing completion.

The proposed deal addresses several primary points of contention between the two nations. Beyond the cessation of hostilities, the focus remains on the maritime security of the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint essential for the transit of oil and goods, and the removal of U.S. economic and naval restrictions on Iranian territory [1, 2].

While the president said the terms are largely settled, the formal announcement of the memorandum has not yet occurred. The administration has not provided a specific date for the official signing, though Trump said it would happen soon [1].

"The memorandum of understanding is largely negotiated."

The potential agreement represents a shift from military confrontation to diplomatic engagement. By addressing the blockade and the Strait of Hormuz, the U.S. is targeting the two most significant drivers of economic instability and naval tension in the Persian Gulf. The success of this memorandum depends on Iran's final ratification and the ability of both nations to maintain the existing ceasefire.