The Trump administration announced Tuesday it will propose rescinding a rule that protects millions of acres of undeveloped U.S. national forest land [1].
This policy shift would remove bans on logging, road building, and mining in areas previously designated as roadless. The move signals a significant change in federal land management, potentially opening pristine wilderness to commercial industrial use [3].
Secretary of Agriculture Brooke Rollins announced the proposal on behalf of the Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Forest Service [1]. The administration aims to rescind the Roadless Area Conservation Rule, which was established in 2001 [2].
Under the current rule, nearly 45 million acres of forest land are protected from commercial development [4]. If the proposal is finalized, these swaths of land would no longer be exempt from road construction, or resource extraction [1].
Administration officials said the rescission will help reduce wildfire risk [1]. They also said the change will return management authority to local forest managers rather than maintaining a centralized federal mandate [1].
Critics and other reports suggest the end of these protections would open millions of acres of pristine forests to commercial use [3]. The tension between wildfire mitigation and commercial exploitation remains a central point of contention in the proposal [1, 3].
“The move would rescind the 2001 Roadless Area Conservation Rule.”
The proposed rescission represents a pivot toward decentralizing federal land control and prioritizing commercial utility over strict conservation. By removing the 2001 protections, the administration is testing the legal durability of long-standing environmental rules while attempting to balance forest health and industrial access.



