Yosemite National Park warned visitors to avoid Yosemite Valley on Saturday, May 18, 2026, as parking lots reached capacity early in the day [1, 2].

The congestion signals a potential crisis for the park's peak season. The surge in visitors follows the Trump administration's decision to abandon the timed reservation system that had been in place since 2020, which previously restricted access to manage crowds [5].

Parking facilities struggled to keep pace with the volume of arrivals on Saturday. The Curry Village parking lot was full by 8 a.m. [1]. By noon, all parking across Yosemite Valley was full [2].

Park officials said these warnings were issued weeks before the busiest summer months typically begin [2]. The lack of a reservation requirement has allowed unrestricted access to the site, leading to rapid fill rates in primary parking areas [5].

Visitors said the high season will be a disaster if current trends continue. The transition from a managed entry system to open access has created immediate bottlenecks in the valley and around Curry Village [1, 3].

Park management said it continues to monitor the situation as the summer peak approaches. The current infrastructure is struggling to accommodate the unrestricted flow of traffic into the most popular sections of the park [2, 5].

Yosemite warned visitors to avoid the valley as parking reached capacity.

The return to unrestricted access at Yosemite represents a shift in federal land management strategy. By removing the 2020-era reservation system, the administration has prioritized open access over crowd control, which may lead to significant infrastructure strain and environmental degradation during the peak summer months.