A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern Shanxi province, China, killed at least 90 people on Saturday [1].
The disaster highlights ongoing safety vulnerabilities in China's coal industry, particularly at sites where regulatory warnings were previously issued.
State media said that the blast occurred on May 23, 2026 [2]. While some reports indicate 82 fatalities [5], multiple other sources said that at least 90 people died [1], [2], [3], [4].
There were 247 miners underground at the time of the explosion [6]. Rescue operations focused on the site, which has been identified as the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city [7], though other reports place the incident in Qinyuan County [6].
The facility had been flagged earlier this year for high gas levels by China’s National Mine Safety Administration [6]. This warning suggests that the risk of a gas-related disaster was known to authorities and operators prior to the event.
Shanxi province remains a central hub for China's coal production, but the region frequently faces challenges with mine stability and gas accumulation. The scale of this blast, with nearly 100 workers underground, marks it as one of the deadliest mining incidents in the region in recent years [5].
“At least 90 people died”
This incident underscores a critical gap between safety regulation and implementation in China's mining sector. The fact that the National Mine Safety Administration had already identified high gas levels at the site suggests that existing warnings may not be sufficient to trigger the necessary shutdowns or mitigation efforts required to prevent mass-casualty events.





