Qualified JSSC-CGL candidates protested in Ranchi on Monday after the Jharkhand government canceled the examination and related recruitment results [1, 2].

The decision threatens the employment prospects of thousands of students who had already passed the exams. This move has sparked widespread unrest in the state capital as candidates fear the loss of secured positions.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren said the state Cabinet decided to cancel the result for the JSSC-CGL examination [2]. The government cited alleged errors and irregularities in recruitment processes dating back to 2014 [2, 3]. Officials said the action aims to end a prolonged political deadlock regarding these appointments [2, 3].

The scale of the government's crackdown is extensive, with reports that 44 recruitment exams have been canceled [3]. This sweeping action has left approximately 2,000 candidates fearing immediate job loss [4].

Protests in Ranchi have intensified as students describe the move as an arbitrary decree [3]. Six protesters have entered a hunger strike to demand the restoration of the results [1].

Political reactions to the decision remain divided. Rahul Gandhi said, "This is the right way" [1]. Conversely, an unnamed BJP MP said the government's action was an "arbitrary decree" [3].

The government maintains that the cancellations are necessary to ensure the integrity of the civil service. However, the candidates argue that they are being penalized for administrative failures that occurred years before their participation in the process.

"The state Cabinet has decided to cancel the result for the JSSC‑CGL examination"

The cancellation of 44 recruitment exams suggests a systemic attempt by the Soren administration to purge historical irregularities in the state's hiring process. However, by voiding results for candidates who had already qualified, the government has shifted the burden of administrative error onto the applicants, creating a volatile political situation in Ranchi.