A U.S. federal court in California dismissed a lawsuit filed by Elon Musk against OpenAI and CEO Sam Altman on May 18, 2026 [1].

The ruling removes a significant legal threat to OpenAI's current leadership and corporate structure. The case centered on the transition of the organization from its original non-profit mission to a for-profit entity, a move Musk said violated the company's founding principles [1].

Musk, a co-founder of OpenAI and the founder of X, sought the removal of Sam Altman from his position as CEO [1]. In addition to leadership changes, the lawsuit requested a repayment of up to ¥21 trillion [1].

The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California determined that the claims could not proceed because the suit was time-barred [1]. The judge said that the statute of limitations had already expired by the time the legal action was initiated [1].

Because the court found the filing occurred after the legal deadline, the merits of the claims regarding the non-profit breach were not adjudicated. The dismissal effectively ends the specific legal challenge regarding the repayment, and leadership demands brought by Musk in this action [1].

A U.S. federal court in California dismissed a lawsuit filed by Elon Musk against OpenAI

This dismissal provides OpenAI with a critical legal victory by avoiding a prolonged discovery process into its internal governance and the shift from non-profit to for-profit status. By ruling on the statute of limitations rather than the merits of the breach of contract, the court has protected the current executive leadership from a forced removal based on these specific historical claims.