NASA released images Wednesday showing a 60-foot-wide crater on the Moon caused by an unintentional SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket booster impact [1], [2].

The images provide a rare visual record of how human-made debris alters the lunar landscape. While the impact was not planned, the event offers a glimpse into the long-term physical footprint of commercial space exploration on other celestial bodies.

The crater is approximately 60 feet wide [2]. A NASA scientist said this is the largest impact scar the agency has seen from a human-made object on the Moon [2]. The impact occurred earlier this month, and the images were released on Aug. 19, 2026 [1], [3].

NASA's lunar-orbiting spacecraft captured the high-detail before-and-after photos [1], [3]. While South Korea's Danuri spacecraft was the first to beam back photos of the site, the latest images from NASA provide the greatest level of detail [3].

NASA does not view the event as a failure or a hazard. A NASA spokesperson said lunar-surface impacts are an "accepted and safe" method of disposing of hardware [1]. The agency treats such impacts as a standard way to manage spent equipment once its mission is complete.

Reports regarding the physics of the crash vary. One report indicated the rocket hit the surface at 5,400 mph [4], though other major news outlets did not provide a specific speed figure [1], [2], [3].

The crater is about 60 feet wide, the largest impact scar we’ve seen from a human‑made object on the Moon.

This incident highlights the increasing frequency of commercial hardware interacting with the lunar environment. As SpaceX and other private firms increase launch cadences, the practice of using the Moon as a disposal site for spent boosters may face increased scrutiny regarding planetary protection and the preservation of the lunar surface for future scientific study.