Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre criticized Mark Carney on April 29, 2026, over delayed U.S. trade negotiations and a lack of communication [1], [2].
The dispute highlights a deepening rift between Canada's political leadership and the government regarding how to handle aggressive trade demands from the United States.
Speaking at Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Poilievre said that Carney had not briefed him on the current state of the negotiations [1], [3]. He argued that the lack of transparency prevents the opposition from understanding what leverage Canada holds in talks with the U.S. government [5].
Poilievre focused his criticism on the handling of a 50% tariff deadline [3]. He said that Carney is making concessions that merely delay the deadline rather than solving the underlying trade conflict [3], [4].
According to Poilievre, the current approach represents a failure to deliver results that were previously promised during the trade talks [4]. He said Carney needs to stop conceding to U.S. demands to protect Canadian interests [3].
Reports regarding Carney's current official role vary across sources. Some reports identify him as Prime Minister [2], while other sources describe him as the former governor of the Bank of Canada [6].
Poilievre said that the current strategy is a losing proposition for the country. He called for a clear statement on the specific leverage Canada is utilizing to avoid the tariffs [5].
“Poilievre said that Carney had not briefed him on the current state of the negotiations.”
This confrontation underscores the high stakes of Canada-US trade relations, where the threat of significant tariffs can create domestic political instability. The disagreement over briefing protocols suggests a breakdown in bipartisan cooperation on foreign policy, potentially weakening Canada's unified front during critical economic negotiations.



