Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have both indicated they are nearing retirement from professional soccer.
The simultaneous signals from the two most dominant players of the last two decades mark the likely end of a generational rivalry that redefined the sport.
Cristiano Ronaldo, 41 [1], said this season may be his last. His comments, reported Monday, suggest a transition toward the end of his playing career as he navigates the physical demands of the game at his age [1, 2].
Lionel Messi, 39 [1], expressed similar uncertainty regarding his future earlier this month. Messi said he is unsure about continuing his career following the death of his father [2, 3].
Both athletes have faced the inevitable impact of age, as Ronaldo is 41 and Messi is 39 [1], while Messi's personal circumstances have further complicated his decision to remain on the pitch [2].
The sport now faces a transition period as the era defined by these two players concludes. While neither has announced a formal retirement date, their recent statements suggest a shared trajectory toward the exit of the professional game [2, 3].
“Ronaldo said this season may be his last.”
The potential retirement of Ronaldo and Messi simultaneously represents a structural shift in global soccer. For nearly 20 years, these two players have dominated individual awards and commercial appeal, creating a binary rivalry that drove viewership and revenue. Their departure forces the sport to pivot toward a new generation of stars to maintain the same level of global marketability and competitive narrative.


