Costa Rica's Constitutional Chamber upheld a moratorium on tree-felling permits, maintaining a legal freeze on tourism development in the Gulf of Papagayo [1].

The ruling prevents the expansion of hotel projects in the Guanacaste Province, prioritizing environmental protections over immediate commercial growth. This decision reinforces the legal barriers facing developers who seek to build in ecologically sensitive areas of the Gulf of Papagayo Tourism Pole [1, 2].

Magistrate Anamari Garro Vargas said the clarification was issued Saturday, confirming that the existing restrictions remain in force [1]. The court's decision follows challenges from developers who sought to overturn previous rulings that halted construction and logging activities in the region [2].

The moratorium specifically targets permits for tree-felling, which are essential for clearing land for large-scale tourism infrastructure. By keeping these restrictions in place, the court ensures that the environmental safeguards governing the area are not bypassed through legal challenges [1, 2].

Developers had previously contested the ruling in April, arguing that the freeze on projects hindered economic development in the tourism pole [2]. However, the Constitutional Chamber, also known as Sala IV, said the protections must remain to prevent irreparable damage to the local ecosystem [1].

The legal stalemate continues to affect multiple projects within the Gulf of Papagayo, as the court emphasizes the enforcement of current environmental laws over the issuance of new construction permits [1, 2].

The court upheld the moratorium on tree‑felling permits.

This ruling signals a continued judicial priority for environmental conservation over tourism expansion in Costa Rica. By upholding the moratorium, the court is limiting the ability of developers to utilize legal loopholes to bypass logging restrictions, likely delaying significant foreign investment in the Guanacaste region until a new environmental framework is established.