Former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández said a U.S. appeals court annulled his conviction for drug trafficking [1].
The decision represents a significant legal reversal for the former leader, who had been sentenced to 45 years in prison [2]. The ruling follows a presidential pardon granted by Donald Trump in late 2025 [3].
In his first public appearance since the pardon, Hernández said to BBC Mundo that he denied all accusations of narcotics trafficking and characterized the original legal actions as political persecution [1]. He said the appeals court overturned the sentence due to legal errors [4].
The judicial announcement regarding the annulment occurred on April 9, 2026 [5]. While some reports indicate the presidential pardon was granted in November 2025, other sources state it occurred in December 2025 [3, 6].
Hernández had previously been incarcerated in the U.S. alongside other high-profile figures. He now maintains that the judicial system in the U.S. has corrected a wrongful conviction. The former president continues to reject the validity of the evidence used during his initial trial [1].
The case has drawn international attention due to the intersection of U.S. judicial power and executive clemency. The reversal of a sentence of 45 years marks a rare outcome for high-level narcotics cases involving foreign heads of state [2].
“Juan Orlando Hernández said a U.S. appeals court annulled his conviction for drug trafficking.”
The annulment of Hernández's conviction underscores the profound impact of executive clemency on the U.S. judicial process. By combining a presidential pardon with a subsequent appeals court ruling, the legal standing of the former Honduran president has shifted from a convicted felon to a cleared individual, potentially altering the political landscape in Honduras and the precedent for extradition and prosecution of foreign officials.




