A judge discharged the jury on Friday, collapsing the murder trial of former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins [1].
The decision forces a retrial for the two men accused of the killing [1]. This legal setback delays the resolution of a case involving a high-profile prisoner known for previous convictions of extreme sexual offenses.
The proceedings took place at Leeds Crown Court [3]. Watkins was killed while incarcerated at HMP Wakefield in October 2025 [3]. The investigation into his death was handled by West Yorkshire Police [3].
Legal reasons led the judge to discharge the jury on 22 May 2026 [1, 2]. The judge said the situation was disappointing [1, 2]. Because the jury could no longer continue, the court ordered that the case must be heard again with a new panel.
Two men face the accusations of murdering Watkins [1]. The details regarding the specific legal reasons for the discharge were not fully detailed in the immediate court summary, though the judge said he was frustrated with the outcome [1, 2].
Watkins had been serving a lengthy sentence for child sex offenses before his death in the prison system last year [3]. The collapse of this trial means the defendants will remain in the legal system until a new date is set for the retrial.
“The judge discharged the jury for legal reasons, describing the situation as disappointing.”
The discharge of a jury typically occurs when a legal error or an external interference makes a fair verdict impossible. In this case, it ensures that the prosecution of the two defendants remains procedurally sound, preventing a potential appeal based on a flawed trial, despite the delay it causes for the judicial process.





