Broadcaster Makoto Otake returned to his radio studio Monday after undergoing surgery to remove his prostate due to cancer [1, 2].
Otake is a prominent figure in Japanese media, and his decision to share his medical struggle aims to provide courage to others facing similar diagnoses.
Returning to the Tokyo-based Cultural Broadcasting studio for "Makoto Otake Golden Radio," the 77-year-old [1] said he had been absent for approximately two weeks [4]. The surgical procedure lasted about seven hours [3].
Otake said he chose to go public with his condition to help others and to honor the memory of Goro Yamada, who died in July [5]. Otake said that Yamada had spoken candidly about his own symptoms, which provided the broadcaster with personal encouragement.
"That person spoke in great detail about his symptoms, and I was actually really encouraged by Goro-san," Otake said [1].
During the broadcast, Otake maintained his characteristic humor while reminding listeners of his physical recovery. He said to the audience, "Don't make me laugh, I still have a wound on my stomach" [2].
Otake expressed a desire to use his platform for a purpose beyond entertainment. He said, "I'm on the edge of the entertainment world, but I thought maybe I could be of some use" [1].
“"I'm on the edge of the entertainment world, but I thought maybe I could be of some use"”
By publicly discussing a prostatectomy, Otake is contributing to the destigmatization of men's health issues in Japan. His reference to Goro Yamada suggests a growing trend among public figures to share detailed medical journeys to encourage early detection and treatment for prostate cancer in aging populations.


