Former Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Kanter said Meta's upcoming federal trial concerning child safety during an appearance on CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street”.
The proceedings could establish new legal precedents for how social-media companies are held accountable for the safety of minor users. If the government secures a victory, the outcome may trigger a wave of similar litigation against other platforms that operate similar algorithms.
Kanter, who previously led the DOJ Antitrust Division, said the specific legal challenges and implications of the case. The trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday [1].
The case focuses on whether Meta failed to protect children from harm on its platforms. While the specific legal theories are being debated, the trial represents a significant effort by federal authorities to regulate the internal safety mechanisms of big tech companies.
Legal analysts said that the evidence presented during the trial will likely center on internal company documents. These documents may reveal what the company knew about the risks to children, and when those risks were identified.
Kanter said that the trial's impact extends beyond Meta. The result could redefine the duty of care that social-media companies owe to their youngest users, a standard that has remained largely undefined in U.S. courts.
“The trial is scheduled to begin on Tuesday.”
This trial serves as a litmus test for the federal government's ability to regulate social media safety through the courts rather than through new legislation. A ruling against Meta would likely shift the industry standard from voluntary safety guidelines to mandatory legal requirements, potentially forcing a redesign of engagement algorithms across the entire social-media sector to prioritize child safety over user retention.



