Pakistan's Army Chief Syed Asim Munir said May 10, 2026 [2], that the Pakistani military will respond strongly to any attack.

The statement comes at a time of heightened tension between the two nuclear-armed neighbors. This warning serves as a deterrent against potential aggression, particularly as both nations mark the anniversary of a military clash that occurred in 2025 [2].

General Munir, who was conferred the baton of field marshal on May 23, 2025 [1], said the warning during a speech. The military leadership said that the country remains prepared to defend its sovereignty against any external threats.

While the specific location of the speech was not disclosed, the message focused on the necessity of a strong defense posture. The timing of the announcement coincides with the remembrance of last year's hostilities, which have continued to influence the strategic calculations of both the Pakistani and Indian commands [2].

Relations between the two countries have remained strained over several contested issues. The Pakistani military said that its readiness is a direct response to the regional security environment, and the history of recent confrontations.

Pakistan will respond strongly to any attack

This escalation in rhetoric underscores the fragile stability between India and Pakistan. By tying the warning to the anniversary of the 2025 clash, Pakistan is signaling that it views recent history as a baseline for its current defensive strategy, suggesting that any further skirmishes could lead to a rapid and forceful military escalation.