A discarded upper-stage of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket struck the near side of the Moon on Aug. 5, 2026 [1].
The incident highlights the growing challenge of orbital debris and the unintentional impact of spent rocket stages on celestial bodies. As lunar missions increase, the risk of unplanned collisions with infrastructure or natural landscapes rises.
The object, which measured 45 feet long [3] and weighed four tonnes [1], hit the lunar surface at a speed of 5,400 mph [2]. The impact created a fresh crater approximately 60 feet wide [1]. Scientists said they have 100% confidence that the rocket fragment struck the Moon [4].
This specific rocket stage had been floating in space since the January 2025 launch of Firefly’s Blue Ghost 1 mission [3]. After that mission, the stage was left in lunar orbit, where it eventually intersected the surface of the hemisphere that faces Earth [1, 3].
Images of the resulting scar were captured by NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter while the craft was about 60 miles above the Moon [5]. However, some reports suggest a South Korean satellite also captured images of the mark [5].
"A four-tonne piece of a discarded SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is believed to have hit the lunar surface on Wednesday at 5,400 mph," The Guardian staff said [1]. The piece had been on a trajectory to smash into the Moon since earlier this year [2].
“Scientists say they have 100% confidence that the rocket fragment struck the Moon.”
This collision underscores the lack of international regulations regarding the disposal of spent rocket stages in lunar orbit. While the impact caused minimal physical damage to the Moon, it demonstrates how 'zombie' debris from previous missions can remain a hazard for years, potentially interfering with future landing sites or scientific observations.



