President Donald Trump paused the implementation of 50% [2] tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days [1].

The pause prevents an immediate economic shock to billions of dollars worth [4] of trade. It serves as a high-stakes window for negotiators to resolve outstanding disputes before the duties take effect.

Trump said the decision late Tuesday night via his Truth Social account [5]. The pause became effective at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday [3] and is scheduled to last for three days [1].

White House officials said the delay was intended to allow more time for finalizing a pending U.S.–Canada trade agreement [6]. The tariffs had been slated to begin early Wednesday morning, but the last-minute announcement shifted the deadline.

Industry groups have reacted with mixed sentiment. Some view the delay as a positive step toward a diplomatic resolution, while others said the pause does not bring genuine trade certainty [7]. The uncertainty persists as the deadline looms for goods worth billions of dollars [4].

Negotiators from both nations are now working under a compressed timeline to reach a deal. If an agreement is not reached within the three-day window, the 50% [2] tariffs could be applied to the affected imports.

President Donald Trump paused the implementation of 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days.

This brief reprieve indicates that while the U.S. administration is using tariffs as a primary lever for negotiation, there is a mutual desire to avoid a full-scale trade war. The three-day window functions as a final ultimatum, placing immense pressure on Canadian negotiators to make concessions to avoid significant costs to their export economy.