President Donald Trump (R-FL) said Wednesday he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year [1].
The potential meeting marks a return to high-level direct diplomacy between the two leaders, who previously met three times during Trump's first term [5]. This shift comes as the U.S. adjusts its military posture in the region to avoid escalating tensions with Pyongyang.
Speaking during a White House press briefing, Trump said he intends to resume talks based on his personal rapport with the North Korean leader. "I get along with him very well," Trump said [1].
As a precursor to potential talks, the U.S. has scaled back joint military drills with South Korea. Trump said the drills were being reduced because they sent an "inappropriate and hostile signal" [4].
The push for diplomacy occurs against a backdrop of significant military capability in North Korea. Trump said the country possesses 57 nuclear weapons [6].
Despite the president's optimism, North Korean officials have not confirmed any scheduled discussions. Kim Yo Jong said she is "completely unaware" if the North Korean leader has contacted Trump [3].
This discrepancy highlights a gap between the White House's public expectations and the official communications from Pyongyang. While Trump signals a willingness to negotiate, the North Korean administration has not mirrored that sentiment in its recent public statements [1, 3].
“"I get along with him very well."”
The announcement suggests a strategic pivot toward bilateralism and a departure from the coordinated pressure campaigns typically maintained by the U.S. and its East Asian allies. By scaling back military exercises and prioritizing a personal relationship with Kim Jong Un, the administration is attempting to lower the immediate risk of conflict, though the lack of confirmation from Pyongyang suggests that a formal agreement for a summit has not yet been reached.



