Ukrainian forces launched the largest overnight drone attack on Moscow in more than a year, killing four people and wounding 12 [1, 2].
The escalation marks a significant shift in the aerial campaign, bringing the conflict directly to the Russian capital in a coordinated effort to disrupt military infrastructure.
The strikes occurred overnight between Sunday, May 16, and Monday, May 17, 2026 [3, 2]. Russian air defenses intercepted more than 300 drones across 10 different regions [4, 4]. In the vicinity of Moscow alone, officials reported that 81 drones were shot down [2].
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said the air-defense response occurred as the city faced the largest such onslaught in over 12 months. Among the four fatalities was an Indian worker [2]. Twelve other civilians were wounded in the attacks [2].
The drones targeted critical infrastructure, including an oil refinery and a weapons-production plant located outside the city [2, 5]. The strike on the production facility ignited a fire, though the full extent of the damage to the plant was not specified [2].
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the operation was retaliation for recent devastating Russian strikes on Kyiv. Zelenskyy had previously vowed to respond to those attacks [2, 4].
Russian authorities and Ukrainian officials continue to monitor the aftermath of the strikes as air defense systems remain on high alert across the affected regions [4].
“More than 300 drones were intercepted across 10 Russian regions.”
This attack demonstrates Ukraine's evolving capability to penetrate Russian airspace on a massive scale and strike high-value military and industrial targets near the capital. By targeting weapons-production plants and refineries, Ukraine is attempting to degrade Russia's domestic military capacity while applying political pressure through the visibility of strikes within Moscow.




