President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said a massive Russian air attack caused at least 83 casualties across Ukraine on May 24, 2024 [1].
The scale of the assault underscores the intensifying aerial campaign against Ukrainian infrastructure and civilians, pressuring the government to secure more advanced defense systems from international partners.
According to Zelenskyy, the overnight offensive involved 600 drones [1]. The attack also included 90 rockets, 36 of which were ballistic missiles [1]. The strikes primarily targeted Kyiv and other regions, creating widespread destruction across the targeted areas.
One specific strike involved an "Oryeshnyk" missile that hit the city of Bila Tserkva [1]. This weapon represents a significant escalation in the types of munitions deployed during the conflict. Zelenskyy said, "Важкий був удар" [1].
The reported casualty count of at least 83 people includes both dead and injured [1]. The president used the aftermath of the strike to call for more decisive action from global allies. He said that international partners must take steps to force Russia to agree to a peace settlement.
Zelenskyy said that the volume of drones and ballistic missiles requires a proportional increase in air defense capabilities. The coordination of 600 drones alongside nearly 100 rockets suggests a strategy designed to overwhelm existing interceptor networks, a tactic previously seen in other major waves of strikes.
“"Важкий був удар"”
The use of the Oryeshnyk missile combined with a massive swarm of 600 drones indicates a Russian strategy to saturate Ukrainian air defenses. By deploying high-velocity ballistic missiles alongside low-cost drones, Russia aims to deplete interceptor stockpiles and strike high-value targets in cities like Bila Tserkva and Kyiv, increasing the urgency for Ukraine to acquire more sophisticated missile defense systems.




