South Korea's Ministry of National Defense said a reduction in recent U.S.-ROK joint exercises will not delay the transfer of wartime operational control [1].

The timeline for this transfer is a critical component of the alliance, as it determines when South Korea assumes full command of combined forces during conflicts.

Concerns emerged that the scaled-down nature of the training could hinder the evaluation process required for the transition. However, the ministry said that the process will be completed as scheduled [1].

Jang Do-young, a public relations officer for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, addressed these concerns on Oct. 10 [3]. Jang said that if the criteria agreed upon by the U.S. and South Korea are met, the two nations can propose the verification of Full Operational Capability (FOC), and the timing of the transfer, during this year's Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) [1].

A joint evaluation of FOC is scheduled for October [1]. Following that evaluation, the defense ministers of both nations are expected to approve the results [1].

The target year for the full transfer of wartime operational control remains 2028 [2]. This transition involves moving command authority from the United States to a South Korean-led command structure.

Despite the reduced scale of the exercises conducted earlier in 2024, the ministry said that the strategic objectives and the verification timeline remain intact [1].

The reduction in the recent US-ROK joint exercise will not delay the planned transfer of wartime operational control.

The transfer of wartime operational control (OPCON) is a long-standing geopolitical goal for Seoul to increase its military sovereignty. By asserting that scaled-down drills do not impact the 2028 target, the South Korean government is attempting to signal stability in its defense relationship with the U.S. while reassuring domestic critics that the path toward independent command remains viable despite changes in exercise intensity.