The Trump administration announced sanctions on International Criminal Court (ICC) chief Tomoko Akane and a Senegal-born official on Tuesday [1].
The move signals a severe escalation in the conflict between the U.S. and the Hague-based court, threatening the stability of international legal frameworks. The administration is targeting the court's leadership after the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and investigated alleged war crimes by U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan [4].
U.S. Treasury and State Department officials designated two individuals for sanctions [2], which include the freezing of their U.S.-based assets [1]. The administration warned it is prepared to take further steps, including the potential dismantling of the ICC [1].
Secretary of State Rubio said the ICC is "corrupt and maliciously abusing its authority" [3]. He said the U.S. will not tolerate attacks on national sovereignty [2].
These latest measures expand a pattern of pressure against the court's judiciary. Previously, eight out of 18 ICC judges had been sanctioned [4]. With the addition of Tomoko Akane, half of the 18 judges, nine in total, are now under U.S. sanctions [4].
A spokesperson for the ICC said the U.S. actions undermine the rule of law [3].
The sanctions were announced Tuesday in Washington, D.C., with joint releases also referencing Brussels [2].
“The Trump administration announced sanctions on ICC chief Tomoko Akane and a Senegal-born official”
The targeting of the ICC's chief prosecutor and half of its judiciary represents a systemic attempt by the U.S. to neutralize the court's ability to investigate American personnel and allies. By freezing assets and threatening to dismantle the institution, the U.S. is asserting that national sovereignty supersedes the jurisdiction of international criminal law, potentially isolating the ICC from Western cooperation.


