The United States government imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane and senior lawyer Abdoulai Sey on Aug. 18 [1].

The move signals a sharp escalation in tensions between Washington and the Hague, as the U.S. seeks to block legal proceedings against its allies and military personnel.

The sanctions freeze any U.S.-based assets held by Akane and Sey [1]. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, "These individuals have abused their authority" [5].

According to the State Department, the measures respond to ICC investigations into alleged war crimes committed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. service members [1]. The Trump administration views these probes as an attack on U.S. sovereignty and an abuse of the court's power [1].

In a protest statement issued Aug. 19, an ICC spokesperson said the international legal order itself is now in danger [2]. The court is based in The Hague, Netherlands, and operates as a global tribunal for the most serious crimes.

This action follows a pattern of pressure on the court. Previously, the U.S. sanctioned eight of 18 ICC judges [4].

A U.S. State Department spokesperson said the current sanctions are not directed at the Japanese government [6].

The U.S. maintains that the ICC has no jurisdiction over citizens of countries that are not party to the Rome Statute, which includes the United States [1].

"These individuals have abused their authority."

These sanctions represent a direct confrontation between the U.S. executive branch and the world's primary international criminal tribunal. By targeting the President of the ICC, the U.S. is not merely opposing specific cases but is challenging the leadership and legitimacy of the court's authority to investigate non-member states. This creates a diplomatic rift that may complicate international cooperation on war crimes prosecutions.