JD Vance said Tuesday that the United States is "locked and loaded" to restart military action against Iran if nuclear talks fail [1].
The statement signals a dual-track strategy by the administration, combining diplomatic efforts with a credible threat of force to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons [2].
Vance said during a press briefing on May 19, 2026, regarding the current state of negotiations [3]. He said that while President Donald Trump is pursuing a diplomatic deal, the U.S. military remains ready to act if Iran refuses to abandon its nuclear weapons ambitions [4].
This posture follows reports that the administration has previously halted major attacks intended to strike Iran's nuclear weapons program to allow for diplomatic progress [5]. However, Vance said that the readiness of the U.S. military is a central component of the current approach, ensuring that diplomacy is backed by strength [6].
Beyond the military stance on Iran, Vance also addressed domestic financial matters during the briefing. He defended a legal restitution fund totaling $1.8 billion [7].
The administration's approach seeks to balance the desire for a peaceful resolution with the necessity of preventing a nuclear-armed Iran [8]. By maintaining a "locked and loaded" status, the U.S. aims to pressure Tehran into a comprehensive agreement that limits its nuclear capabilities [9].
“"locked and loaded"”
The administration is employing a 'coercive diplomacy' strategy. By publicly stating that the military is ready for immediate action, the U.S. intends to increase the cost of non-compliance for Iran during nuclear negotiations, leveraging the threat of kinetic strikes to secure more stringent concessions on nuclear weapons development.





