Cristiano Ronaldo indicated that the current football season will likely be his final year playing professional sports.
The announcement marks a potential end to one of the most decorated careers in sports history. As a global icon, Ronaldo's departure from the pitch would signal a major shift for both the Saudi Pro League and the international game.
Speaking in an interview with Vogue published on Sunday, the 41-year-old [1] discussed the trajectory of his career. Ronaldo said, "Probably my last year" [1]. He later said that this is probably his last year of football [3].
Ronaldo currently plays for Al-Nassr in Saudi Arabia. While he has not released a formal retirement date, he said he is winding down his professional activities and wants to end his career on a high note [2, 3].
The Portuguese forward has maintained a high level of fitness and performance despite his age. However, the physical demands of professional football often lead players to retire in their late 30s or early 40s, a threshold Ronaldo has now reached [1].
His time with Al-Nassr has been part of a broader effort by Saudi Arabia to attract world-class talent to its domestic league. Ronaldo was one of the first major stars to make the move, bringing significant global visibility to the region [1].
Supporters and analysts now await a formal confirmation from the player or his club. For now, the comments remain a hint rather than a definitive resignation from the sport [1, 3].
“"Probably my last year"”
Ronaldo's potential retirement represents the closing of an era for professional football. Beyond the loss of a primary scoring threat for Al-Nassr, his exit may impact the commercial growth of the Saudi Pro League, which has relied heavily on his celebrity status to attract international viewers and subsequent star signings.


