King Mohammed VI of Morocco granted a royal pardon on Saturday to 18 Senegalese football fans jailed for hooliganism [1].
The move resolves a diplomatic and legal tension stemming from the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final [2]. By releasing the prisoners, the Moroccan monarchy signals a desire to move past the sporting unrest that marred the tournament's conclusion.
The royal court in Rabat announced the decision on May 23, 2026 [3]. The fans had been detained following violent clashes and disorder associated with the championship match [2]. According to the official statement, the King decided to grant the pardon for "humanitarian reasons" [1].
This act of clemency applies to all 18 individuals involved in the specific case of AFCON-related hooliganism [1]. The royal court said the pardon reflects the Kingdom's commitment to humanitarian values [4].
The legal proceedings against the fans had become a point of contention since the 2025 final [2]. The decision to release the group avoids further prolonged incarceration for the supporters, a move that likely eases relations between the two West African nations.
Representatives from the royal court said the decision was final. The court statement said, "The King has decided to grant a pardon for humanitarian reasons" [1].
“The King has decided to grant a pardon for humanitarian reasons.”
This pardon serves as a diplomatic gesture to repair bilateral relations between Morocco and Senegal following the volatility of the 2025 AFCON final. By framing the release as a humanitarian act rather than a legal reversal, the Moroccan state maintains its stance on the illegality of the hooliganism while prioritizing regional stability and sports diplomacy.




