Hiroaki Obata admitted to charges of violating the Employment Security Act during his first trial on Thursday [1].

The case highlights the legal crackdown on large-scale recruitment networks that funnel women into the adult entertainment industry through illegal scouting practices.

Obata, 40 [2], served as the chairman of "Natural," which is described as one of the largest adult entertainment scout groups in the country [1]. During the proceedings that began at 11:00 [3], Obata said, "I will not contest the charges" [1].

Prosecutors said Obata expanded the Natural group and managed it as its representative. They said that he oversaw the group's operations to generate illegal profits by introducing women to adult entertainment establishments [1].

This legal action follows a period of evasion. Obata remained a fugitive for approximately one year [3] before authorities apprehended him on Amami Oshima island in January 2026 [3].

The Employment Security Act prohibits the recruitment of individuals for adult entertainment services without proper licensing and oversight. The prosecution's focus on Obata's role as the representative emphasizes the effort to target the leadership of these organized scouting networks, rather than just low-level recruiters [1].

"I will not contest the charges"

The admission of guilt by the leader of a major scouting group suggests a strategic victory for Japanese prosecutors in dismantling the hierarchical structure of illegal recruitment. By securing a confession from a high-level representative who had previously evaded capture, authorities may gain further leverage to uncover the broader financial networks and operational methods used by the 'Natural' group and similar organizations.