President Donald Trump announced Monday that he is postponing a planned U.S. military strike on Iran following appeals from Gulf allies [1, 2].

The decision marks a sudden shift in escalation strategy, prioritizing regional diplomacy over immediate kinetic action to avoid a wider conflict in the Middle East.

The strike had been scheduled for Tuesday [1, 2]. Trump said he is holding off on the operation because of serious concerns raised by Gulf leaders, including Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan [1, 2].

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said that Gulf leaders believe a deal acceptable to both the United States and the wider Middle East can be reached [2]. This diplomatic intervention led the president to postpone the strike [2].

Alongside the halt of the military strike, the administration has suspended a specific naval operation known as Project Freedom [3]. This operation involves the escorting of ships through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint for global oil transit [3].

Trump said the pause of Project Freedom was intended to give space for peace talks with Iran [3]. The move reflects the influence of the Gulf states in mediating tensions between Washington and Tehran.

While the military strike is postponed, the administration has not specified a new timeline for the operation or the conditions required to resume Project Freedom [1, 3].

I am holding off on a military strike on Iran because of serious concerns raised by our Gulf allies.

This shift indicates that U.S. foreign policy in the region remains heavily contingent on the security guarantees and diplomatic mediation provided by Gulf monarchies. By pausing both a direct strike and the Project Freedom naval escorts, the administration is testing whether regional intermediaries can secure concessions from Iran that the U.S. could not achieve through military pressure alone.