President Donald Trump (R-FL) said on Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un responded to his call for dialogue between the two nations [1, 2].

The development signals a potential shift in diplomatic relations and a move toward easing tensions on the Korean Peninsula. It comes as the administration seeks to establish a direct line of communication with Pyongyang to address security concerns.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Aug. 17, 2026 [1, 3], Trump said that Kim had replied to the invitation for talks [1, 2]. This outreach follows a period of fluctuating diplomatic engagement between the U.S. and North Korea.

As part of this diplomatic push, Trump has ordered a substantial reduction in joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises [3, 4]. These drills have historically been a point of contention for North Korea, which often views the maneuvers as provocations.

While the president indicated a response had been received, reports on the nature of the communication vary. Some sources suggest the dialogue is underway, while others indicate that North Korean leadership is still determining how to manage the overture [1, 5].

The reduction in military activity reflects a strategy of offering concessions to encourage further diplomatic concessions from Pyongyang. The White House has not provided specific details on the timeline for potential meetings, or the specific contents of the response from Kim [1, 2].

Trump's approach emphasizes personal diplomacy and a willingness to deviate from traditional security protocols to achieve a breakthrough. The impact of the reduced military exercises on the readiness of South Korean forces remains a subject of discussion among regional allies [4].

Trump said that Kim Jong-un had responded to his call for dialogue

The combination of a reported response from Kim Jong-un and the scaling back of military drills suggests a strategic attempt by the Trump administration to lower the temperature in East Asia. By reducing the visible U.S. military footprint through fewer exercises, the administration is testing whether North Korea will reciprocate with formal negotiations, though the lack of public confirmation from Pyongyang leaves the stability of this opening uncertain.