The murder trial of Duane Keith "Keffe D" Davis for the 1996 [1] killing of rapper Tupac Shakur entered its third day Wednesday in Las Vegas.
This trial represents the first major legal reckoning for one of the most infamous unsolved murders in music history. The proceedings aim to determine if Davis played a pivotal role in the conspiracy that led to the rapper's death three decades ago.
Davis pleaded not guilty [2] to the charges. The prosecution said that Davis supplied the murder weapon used in the attack [3]. Other reports indicate the trial centers on a revenge motive as the primary driver for the crime [4].
The trial began Aug. 17, 2026 [2], following an indictment in 2023 [2]. Court proceedings continued through the week, with Day 3 scheduled for Aug. 19, 2026 [5].
Witnesses have begun providing testimony regarding the chaos of the event. One unnamed witness said, "All hell broke loose" [6]. The testimony aims to reconstruct the sequence of events that occurred in Las Vegas on the night of the shooting.
Legal teams are presenting evidence to link Davis to the crime. The prosecution's case relies on the theory that Davis coordinated the effort to target the rapper. Davis and his defense team continue to contest these allegations as the trial progresses in the Nevada courtroom.
“"All hell broke loose," witness said to court”
The trial of Duane Davis marks a shift from decades of speculation and conspiracy theories to formal judicial scrutiny. By focusing on the supply of the weapon and a potential revenge motive, prosecutors are attempting to establish a chain of command and intent that had previously remained undocumented in a court of law. A conviction would provide legal closure to a case that has remained a cultural touchstone since 1996.



