Union Home Minister Amit Shah said that India has become free from Naxalites during a visit to the Bastar district of Chhattisgarh [1, 2].

The declaration marks a significant shift in the government's approach to internal security by pivoting from military operations to the delivery of civil services in conflict-prone regions.

Shah introduced the ‘Gundadur Seva Dera’ model as a primary tool for this transition [1, 2]. The initiative aims to bring essential governance services directly to the doorsteps of residents in Bastar, including banking, health, education, and livelihood support [1, 2]. By integrating these services into the community, the government intends to permanently eliminate Naxal influence in the area.

Speaking on March 30, 2024, Shah said the transition is a milestone for the current administration [1, 2]. "Naxal-free India is a huge success of the Modi government," Shah said [1].

The Home Minister said that the strategy focuses on replacing the void left by insurgent groups with state-led development. This approach is designed to ensure that remote populations no longer rely on non-state actors for basic needs [1, 2].

Shah also addressed the future of the insurgency during his remarks. "The days of those who indulge in Naxalite violence are now over," Shah said [1].

The Gundadur Seva Dera model is positioned as a blueprint for governance in the region, prioritizing accessibility to state resources to prevent the resurgence of violence [1, 2].

"Naxal-free India is a huge success of the Modi government."

The transition from a security-centric approach to a governance-led model in Bastar suggests a strategic bet that socioeconomic integration is more effective than kinetic operations alone. By labeling the country 'Naxal-free,' the government is signaling a move toward normalization and the formalization of state authority in previously ungoverned spaces.