President Donald Trump told a CNN reporter to be quiet during an exchange regarding military relations with North Korea.
The interaction highlights the ongoing tension between the administration and the press, specifically concerning the transparency of diplomatic negotiations with Pyongyang.
During the exchange on Aug. 17, 2023 [1], CNN reporter Kristen Holmes asked whether North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had requested a reduction in joint U.S.–South Korea military drills [2]. Trump said the inquiry was disrespectful and ordered the reporter to stop speaking.
"Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet!" Trump said [3]. He further told the reporter, "Be quiet" [4].
Reports on the exact location of the encounter differ. Some sources place the exchange in the Oval Office [5], while others describe it as taking place during a White House press briefing [6].
Trump has frequently clashed with reporters over his approach to North Korea. The president previously framed his relationship with Kim Jong Un as a key component of his foreign policy, often resisting questions that suggested he was granting favors to the North Korean leader [2].
The administration has not issued a formal statement regarding the specific request for reduced military exercises mentioned by Holmes. However, the abrupt nature of the shutdown reflects a broader pattern of the president's interactions with journalists who challenge his diplomatic narratives [7].
“"Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Quiet!"”
This exchange underscores the volatile nature of the administration's communication strategy regarding East Asian security. By shutting down questions about joint military exercises, the president avoids public debate on whether U.S. strategic readiness is being traded for diplomatic concessions with North Korea.



