A bipartisan Alberta legislative committee meeting descended into procedural chaos Wednesday, stalling a vote on the "Forever Canadian" citizen petition [1].
The incident disrupts the potential path for a province-wide referendum this fall, leaving the status of a high-profile citizen initiative in limbo.
Thomas Lukaszuk, the organizer of the petition, appeared before the Citizen Initiative Review Committee at the Alberta Legislative Assembly in Edmonton [1]. The petition has gathered more than 400,000 signatures [2]. The committee was tasked with deciding the next steps for the initiative, including whether to send the question to a public vote.
The proceedings were interrupted when a press release from the United Conservative Party (UCP) was issued prematurely [3]. This release pre-empted the committee's formal decision, leading to a breakdown in the meeting's order [1].
Reports on the cause of the disruption vary slightly between sources. Some accounts said the UCP press release pre-empted the committee's decision [3], while others said the news release was sent in error [1]. Regardless of the intent, the procedural lapse halted the vote on whether the petition should proceed to a fall referendum [3].
MLA Glubish had previously introduced a motion to send the Forever Canadian petition to a referendum [4]. The current stalemate leaves the timeline for that vote uncertain as the committee grapples with the fallout of the premature announcement.
“The petition has gathered more than 400,000 signatures.”
The stalling of this vote highlights the volatility surrounding the 'Forever Canadian' initiative and the precarious nature of the bipartisan committee's process. Because the petition carries significant public backing, any perceived interference or procedural failure by the governing party may fuel accusations of political maneuvering to avoid a referendum.





